Max Verstappen ends speculation by extending Red Bull stay until 2030

In a week already packed with 2027 lineup confirmations and temporary driver switches, perhaps the biggest breaking news in all of F1 has landed this Thursday morning.

Yes, Max Verstappen has ended long-standing speculation surrounding his future by extending his stay with Red Bull until 2030. Verstappen posed alongside Red Bull Racing CEO and Team Principal Laurent Mekies during the re-signing of contracts, putting to bed any chance of rumoured moves to either Mercedes or McLaren in 2027.

The 28 year old has been part of the Red Bull family since joining its Junior Programme in 2014, and made his F1 debut with Toro Rosso — becoming the youngest driver to start a World Championship race — at the 2015 Australian Grand Prix.

An impressive showing with the brand’s sister team led to a promotion to Red Bull in 2016, and the Dutch driver has gone on to amass 71 Grand Prix wins and become a four-time World Champion, as well as help the team achieve two Constructors’ World Championships.

Verstappen’s run of four World Championship wins ended in 2025, despite a fightback from the Dutch driver in what was widely regarded as an inferior car. The title, which went to McLaren’s Lando Norris, wasn’t decided until the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi, where Norris’ winning margin of two points was significantly closer than the 100+ points gap at the midway point of the 2025 season.

The 2026 season has so far proven to be a tricky one once again for Red Bull, with Verstappen currently without a race win. The 28 year old’s best results have been two second places in Austria and Hungary, while trusted race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase has also signed to join McLaren by 2028.

Despite these factors, one of the most successful partnerships in F1 history could now be set to potentially reach a 15th year.

“There are more races to win, more milestones to achieve and more history to write.”

Laurent Mekies, CEO and Team Principal of Red Bull Racing, said: “Having Max continue with us and retaining the best driver on the grid is fantastic news for everyone at Red Bull, Red Bull Racing, as well as F1 and motorsport as a whole. 

The decision to continue our journey together is rooted in the trust Max and the Team have built over many years, as well as Max’s confidence in our people, our culture and our vision for the future. Forged through championship-winning success, intense battles and challenging moments alike, this relationship has only grown stronger – making it one of Formula One’s greatest success stories. 

But we are not done yet. There are more races to win, more milestones to achieve and more history to write. Together, we continue to raise the bar with the same determination that brought us to the top of the sport and an even greater faith in what we can achieve. Much will evolve as we move forward, but our ambition remains unchanged - united by one direction, one vision, one Team.” 

“The Team is like a second family for and I feel at home”

Max Verstappen said: “I am really pleased with the contract extension. We have the best people and I’m excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again. This remains the ultimate goal that all of us have been working towards and will continue to pursue. I want to thank Red Bull, Laurent and everyone at Red Bull Racing for the trust they put in me. 

I have always said it: The Team is like a second family for me and I feel very at home. I came to the Team hoping to be able to win races. What we went on to achieve together has been simply lovely and we have shared many incredible moments and won four World Championships. To continue this journey with the same Team that I have been with my whole career is really special and something I have always wanted to do.”

Verstappen set for final Dutch GP outing

The news of Verstappen’s contract extension comes on the eve of his home race’s final Grand Prix at Zandvoort. The Dutch Grand Prix will exit the Formula One calendar after this weekend’s race.

Verstappen said: “To make this announcement during the last Grand Prix at Zandvoort is a great moment for me as well. Hopefully we can give the fans a special send-off for the final race.” 

The Dutch Grand Prix takes place on Sunday 23 August.

words: Mike Booth
pictures: Red Bull Content Pool

Next
Next

The Grand Tour final trailer: New presenters & new challenges revealed ahead of September release